In honor of National Nutrition Month, I want to share this recipe, which I love because it’s quick and nutritious.
Although I’m not a huge leftover fan, I’ve learned this dish is even better the second day. Also, it freezes well so you can make it on the weekend and heat it up during the week for lunch or dinner!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice
- 1 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cut chicken into strips about 1/4 inch wide.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 10-inch skillet.
3. Add chicken & onion to hot oil.
4. Cook, stirring constantly, about two minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.
5. Add broccoli and broth, and bring to a boil.
6. Stir in rice. Cover pan and remove from heat.
7. Let stand five minutes, then stir.
8. Top with shredded cheese. Cover again until cheese melts.
-Kristi King, registered dietitian with Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital