Did you see red this month?
This month kicked off with a sea of red. No, it wasn’t in honor of Valentine’s Day or a sports team–it was to raise awareness about cardiovascular disease.
The movement known as National Wear Red Day, created by the American Heart Association, along with the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, gets people talking, but the next step is taking action to fight the deadly disease.
All throughout the month of February, doctors at Baylor College of Medicine offered tips and advice to do just that. You can arm yourself with some basic facts about cardiovascular disease, starting with a Q&A with our heart experts. Other great advice and information on heart health include:
- Making healthy lifestyle changes
- Knowing the difference between a heart attack and heart failure
- Helping to reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Understanding how heart disease affects women and symptoms to keep in mind
- Learning how snoring is doing more harm than keeping you from a good night’s sleep
It wasn’t just our doctors lending a hand, take a look at how BCM employees helped spread the word by wearing red.
- By Graciela Gutierrez